- 1 pound egg noodles
- 1 pound gouda cheese
- 1 pound ground meat
- 2 onions
- 8-10 slice bacon
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 250 millileters heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
From the familia of Alexander Sliwinski, we bring you the hearty, comforting dish that is Noodle Auflauf. As heard on Episode 1 of the DnA Foodcast (and seen above).
- 13x9x2 casserole dish. Pots and pans.
- Cook noodles in pot. Toss in colander when done, pour cold water over, set aside.
- Chop onions and bacon, toss in frying pan. Add oil if sticky.
- Once onions are glassy, add meat, rosemary and thyme.
- Once meat looks cooked through, add tomato paste and water. Stir and reduce. Add tablespoon of flour for thicker sauce. Set aside.
- Cut off section of cheese, create five or six cheese slices, set aside. Shred or cube remaining cheese.
- Butter casserole dish. Begin layering process: Add half of your pasta to form bottom. Then add half of sauce, top with half of shredded (or cubed) cheese. Layer on half of remaining pasta, then add remainder of sauce and shredded (or cubed) cheese. Top with remaining noodles.
- Pour heavy cream over casserole, add butter flakes on top.
- Place in 400 degree oven. Set aside cheese slices on top after 20 minutes. Cook for another 10-15 minutes. Allow 10 minutes to cool before serving.